The mathematics teaching at New Park School is geared towards enabling each pupil to develop within their capabilities; not only the mathematics skills and understanding required for later life, but also an enthusiasm and fascination about maths itself. We aim to increase pupil confidence in mathematics so they are able to express themselves and their ideas using the language of maths with assurance. We are continually aiming to raise the standards of achievement of the pupils in New Park School. At New Park we follow the national Framework for teaching mathematics and therefore we aim to ensure that all pupils:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Pupils follow the White Rose Scheme of work, but individuals/classes work at own pace and individual starting points. Most year 9 pupils will have achieved Entry Level 3 by the end of year 9 and some will have embarked on the Ascentis Level 1 course.
Pupils follow a curriculum based on the White Rose Secondary Scheme of work and AQA/Ascentis/Edexcel Functional skills examination specifications: Entry level (for those who have yet to achieve it) Level 1 and Level 2 Ascentis and ultimately GCSE if they are ready.
It is expected that 100% of New Park pupils achieve at least 1 external qualification in mathematics before leaving.
GCSE/exam classes will utilise the materials in the schemes of work, but will follow exam specifications:
- AQA Entry Level Certificate 5930 https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/elc/mathematics-5930/specification-at-a-glance
- Ascentis Entry Level 1 to Level 1
- GCSE AQA 8300